Step House - Mesa Verde Nat'l Park

To say we spent a lot of time in the southwest corner of  Colorado this fall; would be an understatement.
Every chance we got - we would run away from the chaos of Moab to the quaint, tiny town of Cortez, Colorado.
The number of permanent residents is 50% higher in Cortez than Moab but it's 100%  more peaceful than Moab, 10 months out of the year.
Technically the entrance to Mesa Verde is 15 minutes past Cortez- in Mancos, Colorado.
After that - 
it's a 45-minute drive from the gate 'to the good stuff.'
I promise you - it's 100% worth the drive to go back 1200+ years in history! ๐Ÿ˜€
not to mention - the route is pretty breathtaking
anytime the trail begins by leading you down a cliffside,
walking amongst the top of the trees;
you just know it's going to be a good hike.
 (at least in my book ๐Ÿ˜‰)


A ranger told us that almost 60% of Mesa Verde open forest is covered in burn scars. 
such a sad, scary statistic of life in the open desert.
despite the massive burn scars, the life & the foliage is abundant.
There really wasn't a moment during this hike where the view was any less than spectacular.

after rounding that terrifying corner; you're there. 
welcome to Step House.

This ruin is named quite accordingly.
The 'steps' in the picture above were created from massive fallen rock chunks, which lead you from the cliff's edge down to this dwelling.
thankfully the NPS built us a slightly less terrifying way to get down into the dwelling๐Ÿ˜
this is the 'reconstructed' pit house; built using things found inside step house.
the NPS places pottery shards inside to view and there's a ranger there for people who don't know to look without touching  ๐Ÿ˜‘
hands down one of the best hikes we went on at Mesa Verde, this fall.
we rarely see petroglyphs AND dwellings in the same spot;
so we were super stoked to see the petroglyphs on the wall in the picture above.  
we ran across a few of these 'calendar spirals' (above) throughout exploring Mesa Verde

imagine ^this^ is your sharpening tool ๐Ÿ˜‘
the difference between a grinding slick (above) and a metate is the 'permanence' of the item.  Metates would generally be portable, while these are on the side of the wall inside the home.  I like to imagine everyone gathered around the 'living room' all together, but all having their own individual jobs to do.  No cell phones. No TV.  I love that ๐Ÿ˜Š 
the contrast of the red rock dwellings against the blue sky never ceases to impress me

^ almost 1,000 year old wood beams. no big deal.
^looking back down onto the trail and the ruins^

This hike is one I suggest for ANYONE who is going through Mesa Verde.
No schedules.
No time limit.
No GIANT group of tourists with you.
It's a win-win situation x 2: you, nature, the ancients, and one excellent trail.
My photo
-danielle-
Moab, Utah, United States
I’m Danielle. I’m a mom, I’m 40. My legs are short and I’m out of shape lol but I like to go all the places and do all the things. haha I’m pretty enthusiastic about being out in nature. I live in Moab, Utah - USA, with my 1 husband, 2 kids, 2 dogs and more cats than I am woman enough to admit in public. We love to be outside, hiking, exploring, chasing sunshine and doing the learning, when possible. My family is my entire world wrapped up in four awesome humans and way too many rescue fur babies .. these are our adventures.

- page views -