False Kiva sunrise

I stumbled across a phenomenal shot of False Kiva by the unbelievable photographer, Bret Edge
I needed a place to hike to for the 4th of July & was determined for this to be my destination.  
I looked for some information on the location without success; but I just so happen to live in the same tiny town as aforementioned photographer, so I was able to ask him  😏

the 'trail' is an unmarked, hidden trail inside of Canyonlands; but it is worth the effort - I promise!


you walk along a cliff's edge quite a bit and have a ton of rock scrambling 
but it's not nearly as terrifying as it looks from afar.  


actually FINDING the spot at the end of the trail requires that you scramble up a scree-filled mountainside, back towards the way you came.
inside a secret alcove hides your 'false kiva.'

It's a class 2 archaeological site -  be respectful when you go.




My photo
-danielle-
Moab, Utah, United States
I’m Danielle. I’m a mom, I’m 40. My legs are short and I’m out of shape lol but I like to go all the places and do all the things. haha I’m pretty enthusiastic about being out in nature. I live in Moab, Utah - USA, with my 1 husband, 2 kids, 2 dogs and more cats than I am woman enough to admit in public. We love to be outside, hiking, exploring, chasing sunshine and doing the learning, when possible. My family is my entire world wrapped up in four awesome humans and way too many rescue fur babies .. these are our adventures.

- page views -